Your invitation for a networking meeting has been accepted! Now it is time to prepare for your meeting. It’s important to remember that you are the one asking for the meeting and therefore, you set the agenda. It’s up to you to develop questions to acquire the information you need to help with your career. If you do this right, your initial informational meeting could be the beginning of a long-term professional relationship with the person you are meeting. You want to make a good impression by sounding interested, enthusiastic and smart.
Keeping in mind your goal of the meeting is to secure a career evangelist and to get referred to a hiring manager, here are 22 questions you can consider asking:
- What first attracted you to your career path?
2. What previous experiences helped you most in this role?
3. What do you need to know or what you should prepare to be successful in the role when you first started?
4. What have you found to be most rewarding about this work?
5. What’s most important to prepare for a role like yours?
6. If you could go back and do anything differently in this career path,
7. Tell me about your company.
8. What is happening in the industry?
9. What exactly do you offer your clients or customers?
10. What is the history of this industry locally and how was this business started?
11. What are the most significant factors affecting your company today?
12. How have changes in technology most affected your business?
13. How has your company grown or changed in the last couple of years?
14. What future direction do you see the company taking?
15. What is the greatest demand for your services or product?
16. How do you differ from your competition?
17. Describe your star employee. What are the qualities of people who perform best in this business?
18. How do you think most of the employees would describe this workplace?
19. How would you describe your company culture?
20. What type of personalities fit in best at your company?
21. What trends do you see in the future that will affect your organization?
22. Who else would you recommend that I speak with about this career/company?
Originally posted here.